FIRST THINGS FIRST
- Make Appointments. When booking your salon and spa appointments, be sure to follow the time line on this guide. Many treatments are time-sensitive, (example: waxing your brows shouldn’t be booked too close to your shoot to avoid redness).
- Drink More Water. We all know water is important, yet we still forget to drink enough. Start now.
- Avoid the Sun. Sunburns and tan lines are portrait ruiners. Use sunscreen and stay in the shade.
- Don’t Pick (or Bite). Especially your skin, lips, and nails.
- Develop a Pinterest Addiction. Use our shared pin board to design your dream photo shoot and get wardrobe and styling inspiration.
- - -
THREE WEEKS BEFORE
- Get Shopping. Begin planning your outfits, placing any online orders, and making special dress rental reservations right away. Make sure you have everything you need to complete each outfit, including underpinnings and accessories.
- Start Stretching. Try to stretch for 20 minutes each day before your shoot. Especially your neck, back, and hips.
- Begin a Skincare Regimen. Wash your face nightly, exfoliate your face and body every other day, use moisturizer on your full body every day, and wear lip balm constantly.
- Visit the Dentist. Get a regular cleaning and whiten your teeth.
- Get a Gel Manicure. Gel polish keeps your nails strong (and lasts up to three weeks).
- - -
ONE WEEK BEFORE
- Gather and Organize Outfits. Complete the Wardrobe Prep Checklist on the “How to Prepare” panel of the Style Guide.
- Wax Eyebrows and Upper Lip. Get your brows waxed or threaded by a pro. Try to stay close to your natural shape, and don’t go too thin. Have your upper lip waxed as well.
- Wax Body Hair. Wax the hair on your legs and underarms. Depending on how revealing your outfit choices are, you may also need to wax your bikini area.
- Cut Back Caffeine and Salt. Both are dehydrating and cause your body to retain water.
- Avoid Fake Tanning. If you usually spray tan or use fake tanning lotion, take a hiatus now until after your shoot.
- - -
3-5 DAYS BEFORE
- Final Wardrobe Sections. Make sure to try on and finalize your wardrobe and make styling plans for accessories so your session is perfectly tailored to you!
- Touch Up Your Roots. If you dye your hair, touching up your regrowth three days before your photo shoot is ideal. Keep in mind that this is not the time for drastic changes.
- Get a Trim. Neat, healthy hair is youthful and vibrant. If it’s been a while since your last haircut, go for a subtle trim.
- Deep Condition. Your salon can do a conditioning treatment, or you can use your favorite deep conditioner at home.
- Get an Eyelash Fill. If you usually have eyelash extensions, be sure to have them refreshed a few days before your session. (Do not get lash extensions if they aren’t in your regular routine.)
- - -
THE DAY BEFORE
- Get a Manicure. Soft, neutral colors work best. While you’re at it, toss in the pedicure (go for any color you like on toes).
- Buy Groceries. Plan a healthy shoot-day breakfast and snacks.
- Clean Your Wedding Ring. For a fast and easy DIY option, try using a toothbrush & toothpaste to clean your bling.
- Wash Your Hair. Fully air dry or blowout your hair, but avoid using hot tools such as curling or straightening irons. Before bed, pull your hair up into a loose top-knot for volume.
- Very Short Hair? Wait to shampoo until the morning of the shoot.
- Shave. Touch up your body hair situation; remember under- arms, and legs; and possibly forearms, bikini, and upper lip.
- Tweeze Eyebrows. Double check for any strays.
- - -
PHOTO SHOOT DAY
- Your focus this morning should be caring for yourself. Breathe. Remember, you are beautiful, and I will capture that for you.
- Get Your Beauty Sleep. Be sure to get all eight hours.
- Eat Breakfast. Think protein and complex carbs.
- Bare Face. Wash and apply your usual moisturizer.
- Moisturized Body. Apply some serious lotion or oil.
- Clean, Dry Hair. (For very short hair, leave it wet.)
- Arrive On Time. Plan to get to the studio at 9:30am.
- - -
Studio Share Photography (Viking Office Park)
14047 Petronella, Suite 106
Libertyville, IL 60048